Re: [ARSCLIST] interesting!

I'm going to get whipped for this, but I'll say it anyway: I don't see what is so terrible if large large record companies simply disappear. Music has been around much longer than the recording industry, so I do not think that the quality of music itself would suffer. And certainly there must be other business models for musicians to make a living without having to feed a huge machine that often sucked their blood, especially now that the means to record music are available to so many. Big Music generated lots of money for over a century, but only a very small proportion of all musicians saw that money. Perhaps Big Music is just not good for music anymore.

Marcos

Tom Fine wrote:
So, even though I'm no fan of Big Music, they have a point in all of this. If the owners of the copyright material -- descendants of those who put up money to record the old stuff and current funders of new material -- cannot get a return on their investment, they do not have a business model. So in that case nothing can be made available because it's a money-losing proposition and companies are not in business to lose money.