Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio compression on radio, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Philip Holmes wrote:

> George,
> Does this mean that you should use a .7 mil spherical tip to counter
> the  radius compensation?  It seems that everyone uses various
> elliptical styli (truncated and not) to play back 78s.

----- yes, Philip, definitely, the geometry is everything. The same goes for
RCA Dynagroove, which was deliberately pre-distorted to give correct waveform
with a spherical stylus. And for Victors that have been subjected to the S/8
treatment. That is actually a reason why earlier pressings of red label SS
Victors are better than later ones. And the masters they used for the
Heritage series (transparent red vinyl 78 re-issues) are apparently all from
metals that were predistorted to give durable grooves. If somebody knows
otherwise, I would like to hear about it.

 Is this a case
> where original playback practices (spherical tip, tube electronics, old
> fashioned treble controls) can be superior to state of the art?

----- it is really only an interface question. Spherical tip, yes, when
called for. Tube electronics - if you prefer the sound. I do not believe that
an old-fashioned preamp had a hum as low as what you can get in modern
equipment