Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio compression on radio, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Bob Olhsson wrote:

> David Lennick wrote:
> >...I encountered a few instances where the single release ran
> >faster than the LP track (pitch, not just a different take or different
> >edit).
>
> Seven inch 45 RPM cutting levels drop like a rock beginning at around three
> minutes. This is a lot of why fades were popular.

----- now, that is a fascinating insight, thank you very much! This is an
important example of technology forming musical taste

----- I would like to report two instances that are related to this and
compression:

1) Presto cutting systems, for instance those used by BBC, had radius
compensation. We are talking 78s and 1940s. This meant that the treble was
cranked up automatically as you got closer to the center. The reason was that
the tracing loss from a spherical stylus would not reproduce the higher
frequencies very well. It did not matter that the distortion became
unbearable, because that was outside the reproduced range. So, apparently,
the recorded range was kept reasonably constant over the whole record side.

2) even those who will only listen to "classical" or sub-category "vocal" may
experience what compression really means. My best example for this is the
Bryan Crimp EMI transfer of all Adelina Patti's recordings - an LP set. Her
last recording - la Calasera - has a recorded level of ca. 50 cm/s in a few
places, which was very far from being reproducible more than 3 times when it
was issued, and it was quickly withdrawn. On the LP, the whole song is
beautifully transferred (and it is her most liberated performance, a gem),
but the few places the compression sets in and the 10-15 dB overload is
tamed. I feel physically strangled when I hear it. The record was reissued in
the white V.B. series when pickups could cope, but it still gets worn

2½) I had a Source Engineering preamp in practical use for ca. 10 years, and
instead of replacing the ganged pots I changed to Elberg instead. However the
Source Engineering has an expander - an anti-compressor - that works very
well and will reduce as well as increase. I have used that on the Bestiary of
Flanders and Swann, "the Ostrich" (refrain: "Peek-a-boo, I can't see you
......."). At the end (I won't spoil the fun for those who don't yet know it)
it is very worthwhile to use the Source Engineering feature if you have good
bass speakers.

Kind regards,

George