Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio compression on radio, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

----- yes, Philip, definitely, the geometry is everything. The same goes for RCA Dynagroove, which was deliberately pre-distorted to give correct waveform with a spherical stylus. And for Victors that have been subjected to the S/8 treatment. That is actually a reason why earlier pressings of red label SS Victors are better than later ones. And the masters they used for the Heritage series (transparent red vinyl 78 re-issues) are apparently all from metals that were predistorted to give durable grooves. If somebody knows otherwise, I would like to hear about it.

I have a Denon DL-103 that's a spherical tipped moving coil. A pretty
bad sounding cartridge on many good sounding records. I should give a
try with the Dynagrooves. I have many Dynagrooves I should replace
with CD.

----- it is really only an interface question. Spherical tip, yes, when called for. Tube electronics - if you prefer the sound. I do not believe that an old-fashioned preamp had a hum as low as what you can get in modern equipment

That's what I meant. I like my tube preamp and it doesn't have any
power supply noise that I can hear. It runs the filaments DC, the AC
filaments being the source of most tube hum. Also, it has very little
distortion without feedback (does use feedback for RIAA compensation). It puts out plenty of volts with very little distortion, single ended,
class A. The catch is that it has to have a high input impedance from
the amplifier and the cables have to be low capacitance.