To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 5:48 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

I've had recent experiences where 20 year old CDs, that originally sounded like glass being ground up in a blender, sound just fine. I'm talking about CDs mastered in the mid '80s. Many early CD players had resolution closer to 14 bits than 16. That was coupled with brick wall filters that introduced phase shift in the audible spectrum (brick wall filters are dumb) and they had lots of jitter. Also, most were built with the same awful op-amps and tantalum/electrolytic coupling caps that the cheapest consumer receivers used. It's no wonder that folks damned the CD as an awful medium. It was at the time. They were auditioned against four figure vinyl front ends through ultra-fi preamps and amps that will show any shortcomings. Many used ribbon tweeters (I have Magnapans that use a 3' long true ribbon tweeter and it reveals mistracking and distortio--ruthlessly). But even cheap modern players can get decent sound out of those old CDs. I have a friend who still has a modified Magnavox player from the late '80s. The op-amp output was replaced with discrete FETs and the power supply was modded with lower ESR caps and bypassed with polypropylene caps. It still plays fine and sounds nearly as good as my cheap combi-player. Phillip