Re: [ARSCLIST] Edisoniae--was: The Incompetence at ENHS

--- Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know the history of how the recordings got
> into the hands of McGraw/Hill,in 1956,someone could
> enlighten me here.Why didn't they just put the
> catalogue,on the market,and let some other label
> reissue the stuff,and make money off of it ?

Not McGraw-Hill, the publishing company, but McGraw-
Edison, the electrical equipment company.  They were
the corporate descendant of Edison's own company.  The
company eventually divested itself in the 1970s.
I believe Black and Decker got its power tool and
home appliance business, which was by that point
about all of value that was left.  I believe they
were in a rather weak financial situation from the
end of WWII onward, and probably looked at the
West Orange facility as a white elephant that
they were more than happy to unload on the federal
government, buildings and contents.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

(http://www.yahoo.com/preview)