[ARSCLIST] Copyrights--was: The Incompetence at ENHS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> James L Wolf wrote:
>
> > In US law, the country of origin of a recording is of primary importance.
This determines the laws that must be observed regarding it. Columbia cylinders
were recorded and manufactured in the US. According to the act which created
Sound Recordings copyrights for the first time in 1972, all pre-1972 US
recordings were to remain subject to all aplicable state anti-piracy laws until
2047.

> Now I am even more confused than I was before.
>
> Capitol v. Naxos dealt with a recording made in England and published
> there. It is in the public domain there. The decision as I understand it
> is that copyright in the U.S. is still held by Capitol America; it has
> been restored for the United States.
>
> So in what sense is the country of origin of a recording relevant?

For recordings, it doesn't seem to be relevant. However, for printed
works, the copyright term of the country in which they were published
is supposed to apply world-wide...to avoid situations where jurisdictions
could deliberately enact very short terms and then plunder all the
"non-domestic" (for them) literature and make profits...