Re: [ARSCLIST] The Incompetence at ENHS

Before I comment, I'd like to ask why there is now some question about the public domain status of Edison recordings. I've been told for 12+ years that they're PD. I must have missed the original posting questioning this. Could someone point me to it or recap it briefly? Thanks.

I can understand frustration about the government's inability to put up sound recordings on the web. The issue of whether something is public-domain or not is one I run into constantly. Institutional and staffing problems at any given facility do not mean that there is a lack of desire to share treasures with the public, but rather that there are any number of greater forces that can make this impossible at times.

And I know that seemingly eternal "copyright" on sound recordings is a concern of many people here. Some, especially Sam Brylawski and Tim Brooks, have done tremendous work to explore every legal option for making recordings available and to try to change the laws to reflect a more sensible balance between public and private interests. There is a cause and a time for rage against the "system." But the better approach is to support and continue the positive work that has been done.

James

All opinions are personal, and do not reflect LOC policy in any way.