Re: [ARSCLIST] FLAC?

--- "McCormick, Kathleen" <kmccormi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Our systems administrator is pushing hard for us to use FLAC to
> save and store audio files (as a replacement for wav) and seems
> impervious to my hesitations (and subsequent explanations) about
> any type of compression for digital audio (I'm speaking here of our
> preservation/archival copies), even so called lossless compression.

wav is the defacto if not dejure standard for digital audio
storage.  'Nuff said.  Anyone with experince in systems
administration should know that it's very difficult to
continue to make old backups of *any* data file available
across hardware generations, and throwing a new audio
encoding format into the mix, which may crash and burn in
a few years, at the expense of a long-established one is
just asking for trouble.  This guy wouldn't happen to be a
*Windows* sysadmin, would he?  :-)  Seriously, as a Unix
sysadmin for close to 20 years, I've run into some people
in this business who place the ability to play with the
latest gee-whiz hardware and software above the feduciary
responsibility they have to their employer to promote
stability, reliability, recoverability and standardization
and I don't find that an endearing trait in such a position
of trust.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx