Re: [ARSCLIST] FLAC?

On 10/27/2006 David Seubert wrote:

> Off the top of my head I'd say these would be the basic
> requirements for a lossless compressed format to take off
> in the audio world and supplant wav as the standard format
> for archiving:
> <snip>
> 3) Files play back on/in *all* standard consumer playback
> hardware/software (itunes, ipods, real, winamp, etc)

Must an *archival* (not an access) format be supported on
*consumer* playback hardware/software?

Now, if only all consumer playback hardware/software would
support formats with higher resolution than 16/44.1.  I would
certainly like that, especially if I could run 24/96 WAVE
files in iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc.

I understand how ubiquity creates defacto standards, which in
turn provides more insurance against loss and obsolescence.
And it certainly can reduce cost of access if you don't need
special hardware to play back archival material.  But, in a
cost-driven market-driven world, I'm not sure the day of
archival format support on *all* consumer playback devices
will ever come.  I'd like to see that day, but I wouldn't bet
on it.

Eric Jacobs