Re: [ARSCLIST] Instant Recording Discs, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Gunk

Actually I meant that your turntable must have an unusually thick spindle!
Instantaneous discs, I've seen thousands of 'em. And I was a "CBC brat", hauled into
the old Jarvis Street building in Toronto beginning in 1950, where the smell of fresh
lacquer discs permeated the entire basement and is still fresh in my mind.

Martin's rate of 70% discs being off center is way too low. I'd put it at 95%, and
even the slightest variation is audible to me. As for off-center lacquers, it
definitely does happen..I had one last month that had been recorded, removed from the
cutter, then put back to cut another track. Both cuts had different centers.

Re glass discs, as suggested by Bob, since Christie had dated the disc at 1958,
there's no chance of a glass disc being used that late unless someone really needed
to use up some very old blanks (they were still sold as late as 1948). By the way,
some Audiodisc glass discs had a cardboard center. This won't shatter, but it does
have a nasty habit of falling out.

dl