[ARSCLIST] Record Gunk

We have a 33 1/3 rpm record from 1958 with what can only be described as white gunk all over the surface. I'm looking for diagnoses and/or advice about what to do with it (other than don't play it, which is impossible in its current condition anyhow).

I've posted pictures here:
http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special/Disc.jpg
http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special/GunkUpClose.jpg
http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special/Sleeve.jpg

We rubbed a small amount of the stuff off from the blank surface near the label (visible in the pictures). It came off fairly easily, and had a waxy texture.

This disc has been stored alongside a number of others that are all fine, so I'm guessing this is something to do with the initial manufacturing process, but not sure. Based on the label, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of instantaneous recording disc.

Thanks!

--
Christie Peterson
Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections