Re: [ARSCLIST] Instant Recording Discs, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Gunk

Christie Peterson wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my record "gunk," er, palmitic acid
> question.  After careful examination of the surface, I went the Windex
> and distilled water route, with very good success.  The disc cleaned
> right up, does not have any flaking, and, 24 hours after cleaning, does
> not seem to have suffered any ill effects.
>
> Now, I find we can't play this disc (along with about a half dozen
> others that appear to be instant recordings from NBC news) because the
> hole drilled in the middle is too small to fit our turntables.  Since I
> don't know the proper term for the pin in the middle of the platter (and
> since none of the dozen or so audiophile pages I've read on turntables
> mentions it), it's really hard to find information about what to do.
> Again, advice from those in the know will be gratefully accepted.
>
> Christie
>
> Christie Peterson

Very simple solution (from the guy who suggested Windex)..if you have an extra
turntable mat and a junk LP (preferably an early 50s pressing, without the
raised edges and center), that will raise the disc enough to fit over the top
of the spindle. I do this all the time to center records. And I say nasty
things to people who advocate drilling larger center holes.

But I've never run across an entire collection of discs, instantaneous or
otherwise, whose center holes were all too small for a standard turntable
spindle.

dl