[ARSCLIST] Databases--was: Tape baking question

I'll answer this at the top this time!

The important point here...and one with which ARSC could and should
assist...
is the citation of "inconsistant/undstandardized database files." My
expertise is in
disc records, not tapes (or digital files/archives)...however, it would seem
that
there is a great deal that would apply to virtually any archived/collected
sound
(or other such forms...i.e. video, motion pictures, documents, usw.)
recordings
or digital files. Having even a "Recommended" format for databases used to
keep track of either items in a collection/archive...or collections of data
concerning either all items fitting a given specification (i.e. 10" 78rpm
discs)
or an identified subset of same (all Gennett records, all records issued in
a given year, all records of a given artist or artists, usw.) would allow a
certain amount of "interchangeability" between different databases meeting
the standards...and/or allow the creation of an "ultimate" database covering
a number of collections (as the RDI was intended to become...).

From: "John Spencer" <js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>