Re: [ARSCLIST] discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

Dave,

Not this one. Holst suites 1 and 2, Bach Fantasia in G major (Richard Franko Goldman, arr. <aside -- I have the pleasurable memory of having played this arrangement under RFG a number of times as a member of his band in the mid 70s>) and Royal Fireworks make up the disc. I think there may have been a Volume 2 from the CSW and Fennell; the Grainger definitely rings a bell.

Regards,

Peter Hirsch

David Lennick wrote:
Has "Lincolnshire Posy", doesn't it? I think I have a copy squirreled away. I
also seem to remember an Earl Wild LP on one of those audiophile labels..was
that D2D?

dl

Peter Hirsch wrote:

I seem to recall a Cleveland Symphonic Winds LP with Louis Lane (I
think) that included the Royal Fireworks on Telarc that was either D to
D or one of the early digitally recorded efforts. Wait a minute; never
mind -- I just went and dug out a CD release of this and it has
Frederick Fennell conducting and it says "During the recording of the
digital masters and the subsequent transfer to disc, the signal was not
passed through any processing device at any step during production." The
recording date is April 1978 and I am sure that I heard the LP version
not too long after that and it made enough of an impression on me that,
almost thirty years later, I recalled it's exceptional presence.
Probably the first time I heard digital in any form and it was a pretty
ear-opening contrast to what I was used to. Of course, having the
Cleveland Orchestra's woodwinds and brass (not too many years
post-Szell) playing the gig under the great Windmeister may have been
part of why it was so effective.

Anyone out there have the vinyl and care to share your impression of the
sound?

Peter Hirsch

Tom Fine wrote:
There was Sheffield, Century, M&K Realtime (they did a couple of D2D
before they were digital pioneers). I can't name any other specialty
labels right off the bat. Didn't some of the majors experiment with
this, maybe just for classical and jazz?

Hmm, I wonder how one could compile a list and maybe cook up an ARSC
Journal article. With 25-30 years of distance, the D2D fad was an
interesting last hurrah for LPs. Some of the claims were pretty
outrageous -- along the lines of "tape technology hasn't progressed
but disc-cutting has vastly improved." Uh, not true. By the late 70's,
the Ampex ATR-100 and then-current Studers had eliminated
scrape-flutter as an issue and one COULD choose to record at 30IPS
half-inch 2-track with no NR and get results that would rival even the
best 44.1/16-bit digital systems. But the D2D records, the best of
them, show just how hifi grooved disk recording could get.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>