Re: [ARSCLIST] XERF

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, phillip holmes wrote:

> They ran at 500KW, IIRC.  I think there's a book called "Border Radio"
> about this station.  This is where Wolfman Jack could be heard.  I heard
> that the fence around the station would glow at night.

Written by Gene Fowler and Bill Crawford and published by the University
of Texas press. I worked with them a bit when we were thinking of
producing a CD or two of some of the surviving airchecks. There is also a
film of the same name.

Some of the airchecks are wonderful...my favorite being exorcisms
done live on radio.

And, on a somewhat related note, author of the phrase "Keep Austin Weird,"
a librarian I might add, and a terrific guy, and the author of a soon to
be published book with the same title...did a wonderful radio series which
was a parody of the religious programs aired on those radio programs.

If you have not heard the expression "Keep Austin Weird" and are curious,
you can visit their website. I am a proud owner of one of their original
bumperstickers.

Karl (Austin Texas)