Re: [ARSCLIST] XERF

They ran at 500KW, IIRC. I think there's a book called "Border Radio" about this station. This is where Wolfman Jack could be heard. I heard that the fence around the station would glow at night. The most powerful station in the world is out of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, at 1,000,000 Watts.
My vote for greatest radio station (and installation) of all times:
http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml
Phillip

steven c wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: <Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx>
Another disc is labeled "Miracle Power - Del Rio Texas Radio Station
10-20-39." It sounds like some kind of faith healing or snake oil pitch.
Anyone know
anything about the program or the station?

The program...no. The station...yes!

Radio station XERF was actually located just across the Rio Grande from
Del Rio, Texas...on the Mexican side of the border (note the XE** call!).
Thus, the station was outside the jurisdiction of the FCC as well as
other US laws and agencies...and could broadcast advertisements and
programming that would have been banned on the US side of the border.
As I remember, Mexican stations were also outside the FCC limitation
of 50KW of power.

Even in my younger days (the late fifties) I recall the incessant
mail order offers that ended "...and just send your name and
address to "kidney pills" (or whatever was being sold) in care
of radio station X-E-R-F, Del Rio, Texas!" I would suspect more
can be read on the web...?!