Re: [ARSCLIST] Recorder needed

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> But they all have auto gain, the scourge of cassette recording (defeatable
if you
> know how..with the recorder in pause, make a loud noise near the mike and
then start
> recording). A cassette deck from the 80s that doesn't look as if it was
dropped from
> a balcony could still be the best answer..and I forgot, TWO good mikes
(probably the
> cheapest ones your headbanger music store carries would be perfect for
"audio
> histories").

Reasonable-quality mikes can be found in the guise of "Karaoke Microphones"
and these usually have the requisite 1/4" plugs (not XLR's which need
adapters!).

However, what I'm personally looking for is (are) BAD microphones! I used
to have a bunch of properly bad mikes (bought for $1 each at Active Surplus)
but, believe it or not, they were stolen! More recently had a great "bad
mike" that had come with an Ampex tape recorder...it needed some repair
to the cord, and the chap who was going to fix it lost it instead (or SAID
he had?). They're used to try and recreate the sound of old Chicago blues
recordings, where the harp player used a mike and amp he'd found in a
pawnshop, and then re-pawned the gear right after the session. I've got
a couple of nice small tube amps...but need a proper "bad mike!"