Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Wow, so totally true! Those radio guys were uniquely great at what they
did, in most cases.

> Archive.org search engine is not working right now (Sunday night Eastern
Time) but if you search
> "radio" and moving images, you'll find a film, title escape me, that shows
a radio drama being
> broadcast, a western drama. It keeps cutting to a boy enjoying the show in
his home and then staged
> scenes of the action, cutting back and forth between a motion picture and
the radio drama, showing
> how SFX are done. I think about those complex, multi-actors and SFX
productions, with the limited
> sound boards of those days, going out live over the network line, and it's
so impressive how
> realistic it all was.
>
> By the way, back in today's world, the actors who seem to do best with
audiobooks are the ones who
> do a lot of live theater. I wonder if they've picked up a skill of reading
ahead a few sentences as
> they speak out from what's stored in their brain. Or is it just
super-quick eye-speech coordination?

Well, you need two skills. The first is the ability to read REALLY fast
(fortunately, I seem to have come "factory equipped" with that...) and
the second is the ability to express emotion verbally rather than via
gestures and facial expressions! Live-theatre actors would be very
skilled at the second...but keep in mind that they memorize, rather
than read, their lines...I would assume that gives them some ability
in speed-reading their dialogue?

However, radio acting is virtually nonexistent in our television-
ridden age...?!