Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

I engineered hundreds of audiobooks in the analog and cassette days (thousands if not millions of razor-blade edits of mouth noises and breaths - I can claim to be a Master Editor from sheer expereince alone, when I need to brag) and the cassette releases were always so embarrasing to hear. I tried to keep at least a DAT copy of the master whenever there was one I wanted to listen to again.

Lately I have been producing audiobooks for local authors, sort of like the "vanity press" days, and would dearly love to know how to code chapters in longer works and make them downloadable as a unit but still play tracks. Anyone have hints on how to find that out? I have two or three projects in the works that would benefit hugely from that! I thought it was Audible that developed that method; at least that was the first place I saw it, but their audio quality was abominable and I discontinued using them after one purchase. I would guess iTunes took the technology from them, as there has been quite a bit of crossover between them... Anyone know about that?

I have one project about to see release where the author just decided to do MP3s instead of physical CDs, and she can just barely wrap her mind around it - she actually asked me in a session, "what is an ipod, anyway?" and I felt like quoting the line in my sig here, but didn't, as I wanted to educate her...

<L>

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

Fats Waller as he left the bandstand was asked what jazz was.
He replied, "Lady, if you don't know by now, don't mess with it"