Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cheap computers are junk ! Not just the CD/DVD drives,either.I know,I have
bought enough of them,and have moved up the price range,until I got to the
top of the line Apples/Power Macs.I cannot afford the price of a new one,but
there are very affordable rebuilt,and upgraded units up on eBay.Based on the
competition,I faced buying mine,there are a lot of people,who caught on,

Here in Toronto, there are several firms that specialize in selling
"rebuilt" or "refurbished" computers...usually only a technological
generation or two away from "new" and about 75% (or more) cheaper.
I suspect most of these are "off lease" from firms that need (or
think they "need?") state-of-the-art technology, and dispose of
old computers as the state of the art improves!

I'm currently using an IBM (pre-"Lenova") Pentium III, which cost
me $129 about 18 months ago. Using Win98 (I see all sorts of newer
o/s's being hawked in spam messages...but distrust that cr*p)...
and it does nearly all of what I want it to do!

If/when my income improves, I can now buy dual-core Pentium IV
machines, recognizable-name brands, for around Cdn$500...