Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

Thanks Tom. It was cool for me - I was hired to bring in 16 tracks of Protools, and they used their old cassette decks for backup (never needed the backups for mine, which did not crash during three long days! Dedicated, of course, as i don't do anything visual except look at Protools. They have their own MOTU system but couldn't get it to work, I refused to gloat, just went to work with my G4 Powerbook.

Mostly they use Marantz flash recorders, but do the recording on MP3 as he thinks it is good enough. But the savings in production time is extreme by using digital files rather than reatime transfer from cassettes! Nobody I know sells cassette copies anymore (but you?).

This was a software conference so they distribute by downloadble MP3 files, and some of them get bundled with the powerpoints - in post, of course.

FYI, my partner Coleen is a professionla transcriber, and I have set her up with audio CD and DVD playback with a footpedal control, to augment her cassette and microcassette systems. It is a great use for old inexpensive iMacs! She types on one and plays audio on the other, for a total hardware cost of $400...

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689