Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Not that I know of. I'm citing the numerous "78 version" of tracks in various Mosaic sets. In many cases, 78 and 45RPM versions are transferred from disks (usually in the Rutgers collection) because the master tapes are long lost. You can try Rupoli (sp?) or the Japanese jazzdisco.org project, but both are full of errors so shouldn't be taken as gospel truth.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

I don't recall seeing a discography with the late jazz 78s listed. Is there an web site that has these?
Phillip

Tom Fine wrote:
78 finally submerged in the early 60's. Its last hand-hold ledge was kiddie records. There were still jazz single mixes for 78 being made as late as the mid-50's. On a lot of Verve sessions, for example, Norman Granz would just have the musicians cut a 3-minute version in a separate take. I think some other guys would just splice-edit down to 3 minutes, similar to what came to be common practice for rock in the mid and late 60's (ie keep the full "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" for the LP but edit out a few verses to fit a 4-minute 45RPM single).