Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

steven c wrote:

Okeh...my reply/ies...

1) I can think about converting 78 sound to .wav files...but not until I can
afford a new(ish) computer...mainly one with a couple of 500GB hard drives
for archival storage!

Wrong argument. Record in WAV, edit in WAV, save in WAV (or APE or SHN) on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. Compress to MP3 to work with, play with, etc.

2) Likewise with affording digital-audio niceties like CEDAR and its ilk...
One doesn't acquire that level of digitalia when one is "living" on the
pittance the gov't of Ontario thinks its disabled folks deserve...

It doesn't have to be CEDAR. It needs to be a competent editor. However few pennies per hour you regard as your rate, some of them need to be spent on an editor to clean the sound in finite time.

3) Finally, keep in mind that I have been listening to 78's since they
were actually state-of-the-art records

If you're doing this only for yourself, keep playing the 78s. When you write of intercutting speech, I assume that you are not intending only to listen to yourself speak. In short, if you intend others to hear your work, you need to plan on some deoising. Not the excess which abounds in the industry, but enough to make the product listenable.

At my WWW site next week, I'll be posting some 'acetates' of Hans Hotter that were treated none too gently over the past fifty-plus years. The sound I achieved has delighted the person who sent me the source material, but if not for their historical interest those sides would be far beyond the pale.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/