Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

Okeh...first things first...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Judson" <loujudson@xxxxxxx>
> Wow, are you behind the times! ;-) grin - no offense!
>
> Podcasts are no different from radio programs. It's just the audio
> format and the delivery method.

That's what I assumed...so my problem is how to get my 78's, and my
voice, into the computer so I can combine it into programs aka
podcasts...

> Create your audio program with your favorite method, be it cassette or
> tape or Wav files, whatever, and then encode it as an MP3 and send it
> offf! That is very simplistic but that is all there really is to it.
> Some of us have been making programs like that for 30 or 40 years or
> more...

It's that second step...encoding all the desired audio as a single .mp3
file...that I'm "not convinced about" (to quote "Jose Jimanez"...)...

> DO NOT make individual MP3s and then combine them somehow, unless you
> are using a playlist type of sequencing, in which case they will be
> played in their original format as separate songs.

I wasn't sure if I converted them individually into mp3 files,
which I then combined...or if creating an mp3 file was like recording
a CD-R, meaning it isn't over until you tell the computer it is...

> MP#s can be encoded with rate from 8kbps to 320 or so, with
> correspondingly better sound, and 8 bit or 16 bit or more. The encoding
> rate determines both the sound quality and the file size, and the
> bigger the file the better it sounds.

Okeh...that answers my question. Now, what would be the usual compromise
between listenable quality and files the size of Ohio?

> As aa audio professional, I only use Macs (too lazy to learn the other
> kind of computer) so cannot advise what programs to use, but there are
> plenty here who can!

Used Wintels are easier to find, and cheaper, than used Macs...so, when
you're trying to survive on the pittance you get as a "disabled" person.
you make do...

> But the basic thing is, a podcast is nothing more or less than a radio
> program in digital MP3 form. Well, generally they are far less in the
> matter of content, but that is personal taste... mine!
>
> Hope this helps demystify it a little.
>
> <L>
>
> Lou Judson . Intuitive Audio

Okeh, now...