To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:29 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

Okeh...let me explain further. I currently have RealAudio v10, which can
record anything I can feed into my sound card...but as its own *.ra files
(the older version recorded them as slighly different *.ram files).
Audacity, which I also own, seems to comprehend *.ra format...which it
can thus save as .wav or .mp3 (there may be other options).

As I understand it, this means that once I get my "78 deck" (a seventies
"record player" with a stereo ceramic cartridge, which I'll be able to
plug  into the "Line In" jack of my sound card) properly soldered and
running, I should be able to create individual mp3 files of my 78's...
but one record at a time!

So, what I want to do is assemble these into larger, multi-78 .mp3 files...
possibly with spoken commentary (I need the adapter to fit my mikes with
1/4" plugs into the mimi-jack)...which I can then figure out how to make
available to the outside world (or at least the digitally-capable portion
thereof). Can this be done? If so, how and/or using what?

Finally, I've noticed that MP3 files vary in size (bytes) even though
they may contain music of the same length. Are there different forms/
styles/degrees/wothaveya of MP3's, and thus settings one can enter
or change (presumably) to adjust the sound quality? And...if so,
what would be best for 78's intended for everyday listening?

Thanxes muchly...