Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE - plywood/particle board

I'd say that the key to using particle board is to use 3/4" thickness, and to use enough bracing/support that it does not have long spans. I not only screw the end of the shelf to the side/end piece, but also put a piece that is the same height as the shelf the entire width of the shelf (screwed into the end piece) to support the weight on the end, and then put a 3rd piece the same size in the middle of the shelf. As I am using 4' shelves, this means that there are no spans more than just under 2', and these work fine for lps, and do not seem to sag.

  I'm not familiar with the regional variations in lumber costs, but where I'm at, good plywood seems to be about 3x as expensive as particle board. Of course, if you have the money to spend on it, good wood is preferable to both plywood & particle board, but I believe that expense was an issue in the original question. I understand this, as I'd rather spend money on music than wood myself...

  Gene

Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:
  In a message dated 8/11/2006 1:06:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,