Re: [ARSCLIST] .BWF implementation

.wav and <bwf> extensions are absolutely the international standard.

the EBU, NARAS, and the AES are all in agreement, and these files are used every day in areas of production in which failure is not an option.

the few manufacturers who created products which would write with an improper extension simply were making a mistake; with my years of work in design, i've seen mistakes reach the market due to many internal issues, from management to QC.

a BWF file is just a WAV file with some chunks on it. it is playable, period, on any machine or platform. if someone has a file with the improper extension, one needs only to change the extension and it plays. as michael stated, it never was part of the standard to have a ".bwf" extension. any wav file with bwf info is totally playable anywhere; it's designed that way! imagine that.

the EBU link
http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/publications/userguides/bwf_user_guide.php

the Grammy link, from the Recording Academy, Producers & Engineers Wing
http://www.grammy.com/PDFs/Recording_Academy/Producers_And_Engineers/DeliveryRecs.pdf

the general guidelines page of the Academy
http://www.grammy.com/Recording_Academy/Producers_And_Engineers/Guidelines

the bwf gives absolute data on what a file is, timestamp (both absolute and relative), and a free text field where you can write anything about the file. this is a real blessing for anyone who produces audio. --all of you are archivists-- because we keep files we make for our clients, or they keep them. this is not like using a sharpie on old CD-ROMS, this is elegant and clean and will last as long as the media it resides on.

the bwf allows a file to keep a record of its own filename, in case accidently changed, and much more.

it is good to hear more bwf-data readers are under development. here's one which has proven to be helpful:

http://www.bwfwidget.com

-- all the best, seva mastering engineer soundcurrent mastering

++   the no-HTML plaintext email campaign, charter member   ++
++                           "ASCII and ye shall receive"   ++