Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

In a message dated 8/11/2006 1:06:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx writes:
It also tends to chip,and break - diagonally !
   Roger

Robert Hodge <rjhodge@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Don't use particle board for anything that matters. It warps at the drop
of a hat, screws break out of it easily, no matter what the lenght or
size used, and I have always wondered about outgassing from it.

Awfull Stuff ! Stick To Plywood or good solid - you won't regret it !
************

I've used chip and particle board successfully in my shelving system. Since
it is either in compression or forced to bend in a complex shape, it seems
quite stable. Few fasteners are used and the dado cut prevents the separator
boards from splitting. However the thickness should be about 50% more than that of
plywood for the same stability and that removes any cost advantage. And it is
very heavy.

Conventional shelving made with particle board in the museum library is a
disaster. It had to be propped up in several ways. It also is sensitive to
moisture and humidity changes causing real problems if the bookcase design requires
tight dimensions. I don't know if the formaldehyde outgassing problems have
been solved, though there is some of that with plywood too.

Mike Csontos