Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical Radio, was [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> All sportscasting has gotten too chatty. They show "classic" (ie from when
I was teen and college
> kid) Mets games on cable here. Much better when Kiner and McCarver kept
the banter pretty minimal.
> And they were considered chatty in their day. Nowadays, it's non-stop,
like the audience needs the
> game hyped just to stayed tuned. I found a little secret, at least for
Mets games -- the Spanish
> simulcast is much less talkative. Plus, it's a good way to improve Spanish
skills.

> I won't even get into the inane "crawlers" all over the screen taking away
details and distracting
> further from the game being played.
>
> Listening to baseball on the radio has become too annoying to bother.
Non-stop onslaught of the same
> old words. No time to form a mind-picture due to the incredibly high s/n
of the information being
> spewed.

Keep in mind that the main purpose of "sportscasting" ("radio broad-" or
"tele-")
is to inform viewers/listeners of whether they won or lost their wagers!

In my younger days, sportscasts (generally radio) were intended to
allow listeners to keep track of the "home team," and betting was
highly illegal and as a result highly undercover...as we enter the
XXI Jahrhundert, things have drastically changed!

These days, money talks...and I don't care much for what it usually
has to say!

Or, as my blues tune, "Money Talks" goes:
"If money talks, it ain't on speakin' terms with me!"...