Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD Audio Levels (was VHS and Beta (was Longevity))

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

> At 10:29 PM 7/5/2006, David Lennick wrote:
> >By the way, can anyone tell me why most DVDs are mastered at such low levels?
> >Then you go to the special features and burst your eardrums. $1 DVDs tend to
> >have normal audio levels as well.
>
> Hi, David,
>
> I think that most features are mastered with a low Dialnorm to allow
> room for effects. I would suspect that the special features are
> mastered the old way, peaks...to...100%.

Modern day films I can understand, but the Warner Brothers Busby Berkeley box of
films made between 1932 and 1934? As I say, the main programs are at low levels
and the extras (cartoons, whatever) are earsplitting, and these are from the same
vintage. Drives me batty (not that I have far to go).

dl