To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio restoration software for Pro Tools

Bob Ohlsson wrote:
The first words to cross my mind is ALL of them!

I must echo this statement. There is no *one* bundle that does everything that you might want as effectively as you might like. My restoration software collection has grown to seven or eight packages now and I am still looking for better tools. Some of them perform astoundingly well in certain circumstances and abysmally in others. I am constantly switching between algorithms to accomplish different tasks and I can rarely predict which one will actually work best without trying them all. On occasion, the cheapest piece of software that I have will actually be the most effective. At other times, I am very glad that I spent the big bucks for a real power tool when it is the only thing that saves a project.

The whole area of restoration becomes a black art the more you play with
it, but the rewards are great when (if!) you can actually turn lead into
gold.  The biggest and most profitable investment that you can make in
this area is time.  Expect to spend many hours tweaking for the best
results on a really critical project; expect to spend many *years* waiting
for that "perfect bundle" to come along.

Sometimes it's just better to hire someone else to do it...as I have done
on more than one occasion.  Your ultimate investment-to-profit ratio may
be higher.

Best of luck,

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet