Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

seva quoted:

> At 8:10 PM -0400 6/17/06, steven c wrote:
> >Well, I recall having seen a record (but not the details thereof) that
> >had sound on one side, and blank grooves on the other...

----- I have an LP record (test pressing) with the lowest recorded frequency
range imaginable all by itself. It is a "silent" cut of a variable-pitch
mechanism, but without the actual audio. So, all we have is the baseline
winding in and out. That cannot be reproduced by a dynamic pickup in a
pivoted arm, but it is obviously still present in the version with the audio:
this low frequency is summed to the audio to generate the composite signal
that is cut.

----- so, not all silent grooves are really silent (apart from rumble)!

----- there once was a person (I believe he appeared on TV) who would be able
to say which piece of classical music was recorded, just by looking at the
groove modulation on a whole LP side. He could probably be re-trained to look
at just the local groove pitch variation.

Kind regards,

George