Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio restoration software for Pro Tools

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, D Basson wrote:

> Thank you for your thoughts.  Yes, if we had the money, we would have bought
> all three of them, but a limited budget prevents us from doing that.  In ZAR
> all three packages would cost in the region of R25 000 which is a lot of
> money.
>
> We would mainly be using the software in the digitization of the music
> library's collection of old transcription and other recordings (tape,
> cassette, 33rpm, 78rpm).  We are therefore looking at software that would
> enable us to do a satisfactory job.  I agree with Chas that, should you for
> example consider releasing the recordings on CD, it might be better to hire
> someone to do it professionally.

I have done a few commercial issues with the WAVES restoration package.
They have received decent reviews...music of Lopatnikoff, his Violin
Concerto with Fuchs as the soloist was one example.

I recall reading some disappointing reviews on the SONY package. I believe
CEDAR now have some plug ins for ProTools, PC only. Having worked with
only the low end CEDAR, I found the WAVES to be about 80% as effective.
With the WAVES, the declick doesn't do much more than clip the click,
whereas CEDAR seems to sample before and after and interpolate to fill in
the space. You can be more invasive with CEDAR without getting artifacts.
I have no idea what the CEDAR plug ins will do but would guess that they
would be better than either the WAVES or SONY.

In short, for me, the WAVES was the best I could afford, but I wish I
could afford CEDAR. For me, the WAVES package will do an adequate job. The
biggest problem I have with it is handling long clicks.

Karl