Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

I have a strain gauge cartridge that can reproduce this low frequency stuff (garbage). It's usually so soft that it doesn't bother the subs, but on some records, when the lathe is forwarded between tracks (also the lead in and out groove), it can create havoc. It will cause the woofers to bottom out and pop. Very disconcerting, especially after a quiet piece just finished.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing the record reading guy. I wonder if he had a record player or if he just looked at his records. And I wonder which mastering engineer was his favorite.
Phillip
----- I have an LP record (test pressing) with the lowest recorded frequency
range imaginable all by itself. It is a "silent" cut of a variable-pitch
mechanism, but without the actual audio. So, all we have is the baseline
winding in and out. That cannot be reproduced by a dynamic pickup in a
pivoted arm, but it is obviously still present in the version with the audio:
this low frequency is summed to the audio to generate the composite signal
that is cut.

----- so, not all silent grooves are really silent (apart from rumble)!

----- there once was a person (I believe he appeared on TV) who would be able
to say which piece of classical music was recorded, just by looking at the
groove modulation on a whole LP side. He could probably be re-trained to look
at just the local groove pitch variation.

Kind regards,

George