Re: [ARSCLIST] S-S-S and tape baking

Tom Fine wrote:

> Which brings up a question: are there any likely-SSS types of tape that are black-oxide/back-coated?
> I've heard mixed reports about Maxell UDXL 1 mil tape, but I don't think I've ever had one go SSS on
> me.

YES..all variations of back-coated Shamrock are suspect, and these were sold under other names including
a Radio Shack house brand. As far as I know there was no 1.5 mil black back-coated Shamrock (only brown,
which was usually 456) but the 1-mil came in two tyes: a thinner, darker tape and a thicker tape with an
almost dark brown oxide. Collectors and distributors of Old Time Radio almost always used this stuff.
And some of it is notoriously resistant to baking. I'm not even sure if the uncoated 1-mil black oxide
Shamrock is safe, but the 1.5 mil stuff seems to be fine (cross fingers).

dl