Re: [ARSCLIST] S-S-S and tape baking

I conceed the point, Tom. My usual practice is more to bake all backcoated tapes, in general... I spoke a bit to o generallly.

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

On Jun 4, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Tom Fine wrote:

My experience is that the recommended baking cycle (12 hours bake at 125-130 degrees, 12 hours cool) -- as per 3M and Ampex various executives and published information -- is NOT a good idea for non-SSS tapes. It DOES deteriorate tapes, usually not one or two cycles but over more, definitely. SSS is not some "suspended animation" thing. A sticky tape should be baked, transferred at high resolution and no bets should be made that it can be baked and play as well again.

-- Tom Fine