Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

see end...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Can you think of a large number of these examples? I can't. Almost any
jazz tune put out on 78 after
> the advent of the LP was put out on LP, and was probably recorded and/or
mastered on tape. So the 78
> is the worst-case example in that case. BUT BUT BUT, I notice a couple of
obscure versions of Verve
> cuts, versions made to 78 length, ended up on Mosaic anthologies
transferred from the 78 because the
> tape master was either tossed or lost. So perhaps I should say, better
check and make sure there's
> something better quality than the 78 before you consider it worthless. So,
your point taken at least
> part way.
>
> Kiddie records and novelty things are another matter, but I question the
historical value of most of
> that stuff. I know they were still cutting kiddie records at 78 as late as
1960. A guy named Steve
> Robb was the 78RPM ace at Fine Sound and Fine Recording. He also became
expert at cutting super-loud
> 45RPM singles, which is what radio and jukebox operators wanted. He used
an old Presto mono lathe,
> and was still using it in 1967, but probably not cutting any more 78's. I
think by then, a lot of
> what was coming out of his room were radio-cut LPs (for instance, 10
public service ads per side
> with stop-bands between cuts) and mono 45's.
>
> -- Tom Fine

Out of my half-vast archive of some 40 kiloshellacs, I would guess
that, at the most extreme end of estimation, perhaps 2% may have
seen reissue in some form...and at most 1/10 of that saw "legal"
reissue. Keep in mind that my holdings DON'T include any rarities
that I am aware of...and at best could be used to provide an
example of "What everyday North Americans were listening to back
in <select year less than 1956>.

In fact, I suspect that my most promising reissues would come
from my "sub-archive" of about 800 blues records (no rarities
or Robert Johnson alternates). Also, the "record industry"
(about three global firms who hold legal rights to 90-95% of
extant 78's) have so far showed a marked disdain for the
reissue of sides from the acoustically-recorded era!

For one example. there are (AFAIK) NO reissues of "Since Willy
Got a Whippet," a Grey Gull B side of 1929! I'll sing it for
anyone who so desires...

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/