Re: [ARSCLIST] Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

Karl Miller wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Mike Richter wrote:

2. Manufacturers of recordable media guesstimated lifetime in centuries,
not decades.

I can only relate my recollection that suppliers of CDROM products would
limit lifetime to ten years.

3. English text - ASCII, ANSI or otherwise represented - is highly
tolerant of error. Executable code is not. Audio is moderately tolerant
for most listeners in most cases.

This I do not understand. With each bit being significant for text, how
can text be less subject to error?

When the claims were being made, lifetime was estimated to be 100 years with premium media talking about 200 years. Those numbers were as realistic as the recent PC publication claiming that burned media would die in two to five years.

Redundancy in English text is very high, usually sufficient for the original to be reconstructed when every third character is lost. For example:
Th- q-ic- b-ow- f-x -um-ed-ov-r -he-la-y -og

At 10% lost, one gets something like
C-me gaze -ith me upo- this dome-of many-co-ored glass

Finding the original poem given that clobbered first line would not be difficult - assuming that cummings's poetry was deemed fit for the collection.

Do *not* try that with a computer program. <G>

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/