Re: [ARSCLIST] Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

Karl Miller wrote:

As for error correction...I recall many CDROM providers stating that
their product would be good for about 10 years...not much room for error
correction. With ASCII text, a few errors can go a long way.

I'm afraid this one leaves me completely in the dark.

1. There are correlations between recording quality and initial error rate and between recording quality and longevity. But longevity and ECC have no direct correlation of which I'm aware.

2. Manufacturers of recordable media guesstimated lifetime in centuries, not decades.

3. English text - ASCII, ANSI or otherwise represented - is highly tolerant of error. Executable code is not. Audio is moderately tolerant for most listeners in most cases.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/