Re: [ARSCLIST] Which U.S. Orchestra Recorded First? -- Arthur Fiedler question

Steven Smolian wrote:

Stock claimed he spent a summer in Vienna learning how to conduct "the waltz" as well. Judging by his recorded triangular examples, he flunked the course.

No doubt, I should let this pass - we have wandered from what I believe is called our topic - but I cannot resist.

There is a recent DVD of Die Fledermaus from Glyndebourne conducted by Vladimir Jurowski who explains the waltz in one of the supplements. He provides detail, examples and exposition; unfortunately, he does not conduct in the style he preaches.

However, he does go up on stage for the bows and the Frank of the performance, Artur Korn, comes down to the pit so the music is not interrupted. And there in a few minutes of the Radetzky March we hear exactly what this music is all about.

Incidentally, one still needs to step back in time for a performance which captures the Schwung. There's a still more recent DVD of a 1980 production from Salzburg directed by Otto Schenk and conducted by Theodor Guschlbauer. That's the baseline - and it would be even if the cast were not so nearly perfect.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/