Re: [ARSCLIST] 0.1 dB

Two responses:

1. I rarely deal with such small changes, so this is an extreme example.

2. The real life example came from a mastering session where I was the mix engineer, not the mastering one. In a discussion between the artist and the mastering guy, she asked for a change, he made one, she said "Great! Much better. how much did you change it?" He said, "One tenth of a dB." Incredulous, she asked him to toggle it back and forth, and the change was real. I think it was EQ, low or high end response.

I was just the observer, but we could all distinguish the difference on his $6,000 Dunleavy speakers... I might not be able to hear that small a change on my humble Tannoys.

And it is not just software - a good pot can change minute levels, and always have been able to, though some high end controls use 1 dB steps...

Heck, I can totally not hear something if I am distracted - or if nearly asleep, a tiny, block away sound can wake me up. It is all so psychological!

<L>