To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] De-static question

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think the only time you'd do this -- EVER -- would be if you cannot dial

your tonearm heavy enough

to track a very badly warped record. And I think you'd be better off

investing in a couple of plates

of 13"x13" glass and putting the record in an oven on the WARM setting and

no higher for an hour or

two and then turning the oven off and letting it cool to room temp. The

top plate of glass should be

heavier than the bottom plate, so gravity can be your ally. I'd much

rather take measures on the

vinyl than on the cartridge and tonearm.

While that method works just fine for shellac discs (78's), I tend to
wonder how well it would work on vinyl records. With vinyl, the warpage
as actually caused by expansion, and not by the substance becoming more
flexible as its temperature rises...