Re: [ARSCLIST] De-static question

In 1967 I worked at a station in Montreal where we had a nightly classical
program, and used an aerosol spray (I'm sorry, I know the ozone layer is kaput
because of CJFM's folly) on all LPs before playing them. Don't know whose
brilliant idea that was, because you'd be playing the Tchaikovsky Piano
Concerto and by the middle of the side, the stylus would be well above the
groove and playing the cleaner gunk.

We often wet-played discs at CKFM if they got noisy on the air..shpritz
Lektrostat on them and then put the little cleaning pad on top of the head
shell to keep the stylus in the grooves. Once a week we'd take all the
gunked-up discs down the hall and clean them with good old Ivory bar soap and
dry them with paper towels. I tell you, it worked perfectly.

Move forward about 25 years and I'm doing the all-night show at CFRB, where by
this time the music universe is on carts and CDs but there's still a trolley
full of old LPs that are long out of print but suit the time period. And
they've been over-applied with Lektrostat. And there isn't any more of the
stuff around. My solution? Put a dime on the headshell and play the track I
want to use with the pot down, while running something else on the air, and the

stylus has chiseled the mud out of the grooves. It was easier to replace styli
than records by that time.

dl