[ARSCLIST] De-static question

Other than online advertisements for Zerostat, I am having trouble finding information on the techniques for and necessity of removing static charge from records. Lamentably, my background as collector, cataloger, librarian and archivist does not include much in the way of technical study of such issues. Lately, I have been going through a particularly troublesome batch of secondhand vinyl. After carefully washing discs with a mid-level Nitty-Gritty machine, they look pretty pristine, but generally produce tons of crackle and swish when played. I'm not talking about the metronome click of a scratch, but a kind of variable sonic cloud. To my ears, it is the equivalent of what one hears while combing one's hair (at least what I remember from back when I had hair) with a plastic comb in mid-winter.

I'm sure I could be doing a somewhat better cleaning job, but I am wondering if I might get more bang for my buck with a static discharging device of some sort. I'd also be interested in knowing if the beneficial effect is greater if you de-static before or after cleaning. Any suggestions that for diagnosis and remedy would be welcome whatever they involve, even if they are not cleaning or static charge related.

I'm sure this is all Basic 101 audio and I should be ashamed of myself for not just going out and empirically solving this question by plunking down my $75 for a Zerostat, but isn't plundering other's knowledge and experiences what listservs are for?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Peter Hirsch