Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights/Universal

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, David Lennick wrote:

> Meanwhile, EMI in the States is going after other labels which have reissued
> its material and are marketing in the US (so far, only classical)....this I've
> been told by Living Era, which recently launched the "Living Era Classics"
> label, but EMI material such as John McCormack and Paul Robeson tracks issued
> on the original LE label are also being targeted. I understand that EMI has
> suggested a payment of 15% of the gross (awfully sweet of them, especially
> since a given CD may contain only a few EMI tracks).

I am reminded of the deal my label has with Sony to reissue some stuff in
their catalog. It always seemed interesting to me that they had only two
concerns, a statement on the license had to appear on the tray card and
that we paid them. At no time was any question of quality control
discussed. I guess if were making decisions at EMI, I would want to insure
that the restoration being done met my level of expectation.

Well, I guess it really is, all about the money...regardless of how little
money it might be.

Karl