Re: [ARSCLIST] Please watch attributions, again!... and cataloging

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Tom Fine wrote:

> How can a bunch of librarians and archivists and historians be so sloppy
  with this?

I can only speak for myself...having been a librarian and archivist for
over 20 years...I am a slob. You should see my work space at home.

And, using this opportunity to take a poke at my favorite target of
late...if you want to see some sloppy work done by librarians, I can
suggest you look at some bibliographic records for some sound recordings
listed in OCLC. Yesterday I was looking at the record for a four disc set,
volume one of "The Musical Heritage of America." The original copy was
provided by Library of Congress: OCLC 6866516  The record contained no
reference whatsoever to the song titles on the set. The record was added,
without any upgrading by 50 other libraries. Plus, OCLC offers 4 records for
the same item. You point this out to people and they will say things like, we
don't have the staff, we are underfunded, etc. Yet, they will not adjust
their systems to, at least from my perspective, address the fundamental
limitations of their expectable budgets.

So, Tom, librarians are, from my perspective, like most everybody else.

Karl (always looking for an opportunity to point out problems I see with
the cataloging of recordings)