Re: [ARSCLIST] Deejays--was: Brunswick Records rights/Universal

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, steven c wrote:

> That will be their next step! It's already possible to buy prepackaged
> programming, complete with breaks to insert local weather info and ads...
> and that could be produced anywhere that has fluent and accent-less
> English speakers. This used to be done on r2r tape or via satellite feed,
> but is probably on CD-R (or even DVD-R) these days. Of course, your
> fully-automated station better have at least one human being available...
> if Bin Laden suicide-bombs the county courthouse, that won't be covered
> in your pre-recorded programming (unless something VERY fishy is going
> on...)

Well actually, during my last year at our local "classical" station they
went to an overnight service...a movement of this, a movement of that
followed by the next selection..."Beethoven's music for a rainy day." All
being done in the name of saving money and attracting a wider
audience...and following in the great tradition of dumbing down our
society (Being a member of AARP gives me license to speak like an old wind
bag). Fully automated, no human needed at the station. This last year,
they started the overnight service even earlier...I believe they may be
totally automated from about 8PM to 6AM...not sure, as I stopped listening
when we parted company.

And speaking of outsourcing...were it not for the problems with finding
safe transportation, I wonder if outsourcing to China or India might not
be a good solution to the problems of the huge backlog of audio needing
reformatting.

Karl