Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights/Universal

Bob Conrad wrote:

I'm afraid you've both been misinformed. This was a New York state court case. There was no Federal court involved here.

Hasn't anyone taken the time to read:

http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub135/sec3.html

Yes, I have read it and in fact recommended it on this list to others as well within the past day or so. Capitol USA brought the case in New York but appealed the decision to federal court. The link provided in the past day or so to the New York matter is to the New York Supreme Court's finding for the federal Court of Appeals. AFAIK, there has not yet been a ruling from the Court of Appeals.

"In a certified question, the United
States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit asks us whether
there is common-law copyright protection in New York for sound
recordings made prior to 1972."

NOTE: Your question may be deemed offensive. I do not claim expertise in legal matters, but I do try to read relevant material and am not ashamed to acknowledge ignorance.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/