Re: [ARSCLIST] creating access cd's

At 05:52 PM 1/25/2006, Don Cox wrote:
One of the biggest nuisances in Windows is that you cannot simply back
up C: in any simple way. Being used to the Amigas, where you can simply
copy all the files on the system partition to a CD, I find this
tiresome.

Indeed, but it doesn't have to be.

This is addressed in my writeup. You run Norton Ghost (or similar program) and then I store the Ghosts on the dual redundant NAS boxes located in two separate building.

I think that I've produced a solution that works for me. I've gotten into discussions on other lists where people prefer multiple hard drives on shelves and, within some limits (including checking them annually) this might be OK. But I much prefer my drives attached. The only other choice to hard drives for large storage currently IMHO is LTO tape.

Currently, there are no media other than LTO tape and hard drives themselves that are suspected of having adequate life AND have the capacity to back up hard drives.

Here's the link to my discussions. I wrote them to be a departure for discussion. But most things are doable.

http://www.richardhess.NET/data_storage/

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Richard